Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Surpassing Greatness of Knowing Christ Jesus as Lord

Paul writes, "I consider everything to be loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord" (Philippians 3:8).

In Morning by Morning (a Pure Gold Classic published by Bridge-Logos), Spurgeon writes, "I must know Him, not as the visionary dreams of Him, but as the Word reveals Him. I must know His natures, divine and human. I must know His offices, attributes, works, shame, and glory. I must meditate upon Him until I 'have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge.'"

When we really know Christ Jesus as Lord, we will love Him in the way Spurgeon describes. Our knowledge of Him, according to Spurgeon, must be:

  • An intelligent knowledge
  • An affectionate knowledge
  • A satisfying knowledge
  • An exciting knowledge
  • A happy knowledge
Spurgeon writes, "This knowledge of Christ Jesus will be a most happy one. In fact, it'll be so elevating that sometimes it will completely bear me up above all trials, doubts, and sorrows, and will fling about me the immortality of the ever-living Savior, and gird me with the golden-belt of His joy. Sit today at Jesus' feet and learn about Him."

No comments: