Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Upheavals Everywhere

I'm starting to dislike reading the daily newspaper and listening to news broadcasts on radio and TV. I suspect many people feel the same way. I actually find this surprising, because I used to be rather a news "junkie," if you will, and political science was a study I always enjoyed.

Certainly there are all kinds of upheavals taking place all over the world these days. Disturbing news, to say the least. Many of these are coming in the form of violent natural disasters that appear to be more intense than usual, and they are coming in various forms--earthquakes, tsunamis, floods, landslides, wildfires, intense heat, etc.

Many do not believe in global warming, but I think there's plenty of evidence to support it--ice islands in the sea that have broken off from glaciers, islands that are being engulfed, wildfires that are caused by intense heat. (Russia, for example, has been going through a heat wave that is hotter than anything they've experienced in the last millennium.)

When God told us to take authority over this planet, I'm quite sure He did not want us to pollute the water and the air, to spill oil into the beautiful seas (such as the Gulf of Mexico), to strip mine the beautiful mountains of Appalachia, or to cut down so many trees. I think He may be judging us for the poor way we've maintained His creation.

I also see human upheavals everywhere. There seems to be so much hate in our world. People are angry, and their anger flares up in unpredictable ways. People are killing babies and abusing children. Road rage and other rants are commonplace. On-the-job shootings seem to happen on a near-weekly basis. Religious hatred and bigotry are showing there ugly heads once more, as they have throughout world history.

It is time for a change, for a transition, for a spiritual awakening. We need to remember that things are not all that important. Money is not the reason for living.

Paul wrote, "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love" (Galatians 5:6, NIV). Where is there faith and love in mob violence and terrorism? We don't fight terrorism with hate and terrorism. Doesn't the Bible say we are to overcome evil with good?

It's all about love, and I think until we learn that lesson, we are doomed to more of the same. But my biggest concern is that "the same" will turn into a monster that is uglier and more horrendous than any of us have ever imagined.

Jesus said (and this is the Supreme Commandment): "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:34-35, NIV).

No comments: