Thursday, February 18, 2010

"By a Sudden Conversion"- John Calvin

Currently I'm editing and developing study guides for a series of our Pure Gold Classics that was written by John Calvin in his Institutes of the Christian Religion. This has been a fascinating experience for me in so many ways.

Later this year Bridge-Logos Foundation will be producing a four-volume set of his writings. At present we have only one Pure Gold Classic by him, and it is entitled John Calvin: God the Creator and God the Redeemer. In future editions we will have four different Pure Gold Classics by him:

  • God the Creator
  • God the Redeemer
  • God the Holy Spirit
  • The Church of Jesus Christ
We need to view each author in the context of the times in which he or she wrote. For Calvin, the times were most difficult, indeed, for his teachings opposed some tenets and practices of the Roman Catholic Church. As a result, his life was threatened on more than one occasion.

These things had resulted from something that happend to Calvin in 1533. He wrote (in his Commentary on the Book of Psalms) these words to describe what happened to him: "God by a sudden conversion subdued and broght my mind to a teachable frame, which was more hardened in such matters than might have been expected from one at my early period of life [he was 24 years old at the time]. Having thus received some taste and knowledge of true godliness, I was immediately inflamed with so intense a desire to make progress therein, that although I did not altogether leave off my studies, yet I pursued them with less ardour."

Soon thereafter, he began to break away from the Roman Catholic Church and his reform work began.

After a long and successful career that was stalked by much opposition and many controversies, Calvin wrote these words when he felt his death was drawing near: "I do testify that I live and purpose to die in this faith which God has given me through His Gospel, and that I have no other dependence for salvation than the free choice which is made of me by Him. With my whole heart I embrace His mercy, through which all my sins are covered, for Christ's sake, and for the sake of His death and sufferings. According to the measure of grace granted unto me, I have taught this pure, simple, Word by sermons, by deeds, and by expositions of this Scripture. In all my battles with the enemies of truth I have not used sophistry, but have fought the good fight squarely and directly."

I thank God for John Calvin and all he did to uphold the Word of God and the principles of Christ.

No comments: