Friday, February 19, 2010

Reinhold Niebuhr's Serenity Prayer

In 1944, the year after I was born, theologian Reinhold Niebuhr wrote these important words:

"God, grant me the serentiy to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference."

What can we change? It is certain that we cannot change other people, the past, or certain circumstances. However, we are able to change our responses to others, past experiences, and circumstances. This really is a choice we have to make each day. We can also change ourselves through prayer and "the washing of water by the Word" (Ephesians 5:26).

Most people are familiar with the line I've quoted from Niebuhr above, but some may not know that there is much more to the "Serenity Prayer." It goes on:

"Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardship as the pathway to peace; taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that He will make all things right, if I surrender to His will; that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him forever in the next. Amen."

One day at a time, one moment at a time. There is no better way, for the only time we can be sure of is the present moment. What sound advice this is. Then he goes on to pray, ". . . accepting hardship as the pathway to peace." Wouldn't our lives be different if we were truly able to face hardship in this way, viewing it as the pathway to peace? Some choose to take a different pathway in the face of negative circumstances, and this leads them into greater aggravation, anger, and despair. There is a much better way.

We do not live in a perfect world that is inhabited by perfect people. Unless we accept this fact (with serenity) we cannot find happiness. This world is not our home, after all; it is simply a preparation for a much-better place. In this world we will have tribulation, but we need to be cheerful in the face of it, for Jesus has overcome the world (John 16:33).

Niebuhr continues, "Trusting that He will make all things right . . . ." Ah, now there's the key: TRUST. One of my favorite verses of Scripture says, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding . In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths" (Proverbs 3:5-6). As the hymn tells us, "Trust and obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey."

This trusting is conditional, however, for the next line of the Serenity Prayer says, ". . . if I surrender to His will." Have you surrendered everything to the will of the Lord? Have I? This surrender must include our finances, our families, our future, our health, our career, our job, our time, our everything. The old hymn points us in the right direction: "I surrender all; I surrender all. All to Jesus I surrender; I surrender all."

When all these aspects are in place in our lives, we will truly experience happiness, as Niebuhr points out: "That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him forever in the next. Amen."

This is my prayer for you. Let go and let God. Know Him and enjoy Him forever. This is why we were created. This is the key to happiness. One day at a time.

No comments: