Monday, February 22, 2010

Camp Shadowbrook

When I was thirteen years old I attended summer camp at Camp Shadowbrook in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. This camp was founded by a youth evangelist named Percy B. Crawford, who also founded Pinebrook, Mountainbrook, and had a foundational role in Youth for Christ, Youtharama in Philadelphia, and King's College.

While I was there, as we were sitting around a campfire after dark, our counselor (Mr. Dave) read a passage from John that hit me straight in the heart: "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name" (John 1:12).

To think that I could experience God's power to become his son by believing on His name was a total revelation to my young spirit. I gave my heart to Jesus that night, and He has been with me ever since. Like John Wesley in his Aldersgate experience, my "heart was strangely warmed." Our Pure Gold Classic, The Holy Spirit and Power by John Wesley, we read: "In a word, the new birth is that change whereby the earthly, sensual, devilish mind is turned into the mind which was in Christ Jesus. That is the nature of the new birth."

We need to have our minds renewed, and that process began for me at Camp Shadowbrook back in 1956. Wesley wrote, "If you have not already expereinced this inward work of God, the new birth, add one thing more. Pray the prayer immediately: 'Lord, add this to all my blessings, let me be born again. Deny me whatever you please, but let me be born again. Take away from me whatever is necessary, only give me this. Take away my reputation, fortune, friends, and health, but let me be born again of the Holy Spirit. Let me be received among the children of God. Let me be born incorruptible by the Word of God, which lives and abides forever. Amen."

7 comments:

ejr said...

Lloyd,

I attended Camp Shadowbrook beginning in 1958 at age 8. I was there for the next four years, first 10 weeks, then another 10, then 8, and finally 2 weeks in 1961

This experience was one of the defining ones for my life, as I came to know Christ through my time there.

It is good to hear from another Shadowbrook camper. We may have both had "Mr. Dave" as a counselor.


Ed Reitz,
Hemet, CA

Anonymous said...

I was at Camp Shadowbrook (for two months in the summer of 1947), which I remember, vividly. It was there that I learned to sing "Onward, Christian Soldiers", and remember Percy Crawford preaching. The expense was a sacrifice for my parents', who felt it would be beneficial to my health, as I had suffered rheumatic fever, earlier that year. Sadly, I was not yet 6, and too young to be away from my family for so long. The experience had an adverse effect on me, and instilled a fear of Christian camping throughout my formative years. Then, in my college years, I volunteered to counsel at a Christian (Presbyterian) camp (where I met my wife-to-be), and have many fond memories. Over the years, I've thought of Camp Shadowbrook, and the bittersweet memories.

Robert Peet
Delhi, NY

Anonymous said...

My older brother and I were thrown (with good intentions) into Camp Shadowbrook in the early 50s. My mother was divorcing my alleged philandering father and in that time, one had to go to Reno to get a divorce. My kid brother was too young for Shadowbrook and got to swim in a crystal clear pool in Reno at Pappa Jay's while my older brother and I were forced to listen to hymns, go hiking in bug infested woods, and swim in the fetid stank pool. WE WERE ROBBED!
Kid brother is now a famous renowned Orthopaedic Surgeon while my older brother and I have always been darker than the average sheep.
I rest my case. Send your kids to RENO!

Dr. Wayne C. isphording said...

It's with pleasure and fondness that I remember spending 2 weeks in the summer of 1945 at Camp Shadowbrook. Sadly, I was too young (6 years old) to remember the "messages" put forth by Percy Crawford but I have the distinct memory of his showing me how to "spit a hotdog" and cook it over an open fire. A truly great childhood memory.
Vaya con dios, Percy. You were a fine person!

alex said...

I went there 2 years in a row in the fifties. Met a kid named Noble Constantine I remember well. Alex Wilkins

Unknown said...

I attended the camp in the early 1950s. It is good to know that the camp exists.

David A. Williams said...

I was a Jr. Counsellor for two summers in the early 60's at Shadowbrook. I still remember the camp song.