Monday, March 8, 2010

The Lord Is My Shepherd

The first line of Psalm 23 contains at least three metaphors. Two are stated and one is implied. The first is found in the word "lord." A lord, as you know, is a nobleman--one who has great power and authority, a ruler, and a master. This is an appropriate figure of speech in reference to the Lord Jesus Christ, to be sure.

The second metaphor is seen in the word "shepherd." A shepherd, as you know, takes care of his sheep by protecting them, providing for them, leading them, giving the food, water, and shelter. What an apt metaphor this is for our Lord Jesus Christ, the Good Shepherd of the sheep.

The implied metaphor would be found in the truth that if God is our Shepherd, then we must be sheep. What are the behaviors and mannerisms of sheep? They need a leader. They need protection. They need to be taken care of. Some would even say they're not very bright! We are sheep, indeed, and thank God we have a Shepherd who takes care of us.

Because He does, we never suffer want. Paul writes, "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:19). His grace is sufficient for us.

Take time today to meditate on these words that were written by David: "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; they rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever" (Psalm 23).

Are you a helpless sheep? Is the Lord your Shepherd? What does this Psalm mean to you?

No comments: