Monday, March 15, 2010

What Really Counts?

The older I get the more I realize that I've wasted a good part of my life on trivial matters--matters of little concern or importance. I believe the Apostle Paul hits the nail on the head when he says, "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love" (Galatians 5:6, NIV).

This goes right along with what the Great Apostle said in 1 Corinthians 13: "And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love" (1 Corinthians 13:13, NIV). Paul introduced this chapter with these words: "And now I will show you the most excellent way" (1 Corinthians 12:31, NIV).

Yes, love is the only thing that counts, the most excellent way, and the greatest of the Christian attributes. In fact, it is the mark of a true Christian. Jesus said, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. by this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:35, NIV).

The relationships in our lives should be very precious to us. We need to love one another. Without love, we are like "a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal" (1 Corinthians 13:1, NIV). Who wants to be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal?

Let us remember these words today: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love" (1 John 4:7-8, NIV).

For a fuller treatment of this vitally important topic, please read our Pure Gold Classic--The Greatest Thing in the World by Henry Drummond.

No comments: