Monday, April 19, 2010

The God of Jacob Is Our Refuge

A new book that was published by Bridge-Logos Foundation concludes with these words: "Several years ago I was praying at one of my 'secret places' on Mount Carmel, about two hundred meters down a path from the place where the Lord dramatically visited me in the rental car in the 1980s. I was actually standing on the roof of an abandoned British machine-gun bunker from bygone Mandate days. The concrete bunker is built into a promontory on Mount Carmel overlooking the Mediterranean. On this beautiful clear spring morning, I watched Israeli guided missile cruisers slowly patrolling the Haifa coast and port. Three military helicopters flew by, evidently returning from guarding the Lebanese border. I was struck by the contrast of the bunker, helicopters, and the warships against the legendary beauty of Carmel cloaked with multi-colored spring wildflowers and the shimmering emerald sea stretched out before me. I sensed that I was observing the calm before the storm. The still, small voice of the Lord came to me, saying, 'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge' (Psalm 46:10-11).

This excerpt is taken from The Elijah Legacy by David Davis, the founder and senior pastor of Kehilat HaCarmel (Carmel Assembly) on Mount Carmel in Israel.

We must continually pray for the peace of Jerusalem, realizing that the God of Jacob is our refuge.

No comments: