Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Indwelling Christ--My Best Friend

When I was thirteen I knew Jesus was knocking on the door of my heart. I opened the door and asked Him to come in. He has been living within me ever since. This is what the Lord said in the Revelation: "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me" (Revelation 3:20, NASB).

One time when I was in England, I visited St. Paul's Cathedral in London. One of the paintings that hangs on the wall of this sanctuary is a picture of Jesus standing at a cottage door and knocking. The interesting thing is that there is no knob on the outside of the door; it has to be opened from the inside. As a boy, I felt Jesus knocking on the door of my heart. It was like the pounding of a drum.

When I opened the door I experienced the Lord Jesus Christ entering my life in a fullness that I never knew could be possible. Truly, it was the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me.

Jesus said He would never leave us or forsake us. He promised to be with us until the end of the age, and He is with me still in spite of the mistakes I've made and the sins I've committed.

He is now my best friend--a true friend who is closer than a brother--my best friend, indeed. He walks with me and talks with me. The fellowship we enjoy is so wonderful and awesome.

The Bible says, "There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother" (Proverbs 18:24). That blessed friend is Jesus Christ.

If you have never invited Him into your life, I encourage you to do so now. This is how Solomon described this: "He has brought me to his banquet hall, and his banner over me is love" (Song of Solomon 2:4, NASB).

Jesus wants to know you and have communion with you. He loves you with an everlasting love.

There is no friend so great as Jesus.

No comments: